Thursday, October 6, 2011

Why was this day so good?

Why was my day so good? I started my morning like this:
A man in his early 50's came to the clinic from what we call a "friend referral" after having a stroke. He now was presenting with a limping gait, decreased use of his left hand, slurred speech, and was having difficultly eating. The conversation presents like I am a 4 year old, because that is how good my creole is.

Me- "Mister, When did you have your stroke?"
Patient - 2 weeks ago
Me: Are you taking medication now for your blood pressure?
Patient: No, it is finished, I do not have any more
Me: Do you have a doctor?
Patient: No, I just went to the General Hospital after I fell.
Me: Why did you come to the clinic today?
Patient : For therapy.
Me: Who told you to come?
Patient: A friend.
Me: You need to see a doctor first and have medication. Then you can come for therapy. Come tomorrow morning, early before 7 am because there will be many people here. You can see a doctor and he will give you medication. After that he will tell you when you can start therapy.
Patient: Is he Haitian?
Me: Yes.
Patient: How much money will I need?
Me: Only the money it cost for the transportation to the clinic. The doctor is free, the medication is free, and therapy is free. (smile)
Patient: Thank you very much, you are my daughter. Do you understand that.
Me: Yes, thank you very much.

We are now being able to provide people with a quicker recovery from a stroke, and are assisting with prevention of secondary strokes. Constant communication with the clinic, the doctors, and a holistic approach is achieving these things. Not only that, but it is all free! Amazing quality health care for people who otherwise would not be able to have any health care at all.

Thank you all who supported the race for making this conversation a reality.
Jeanie

No comments:

Post a Comment